Monday March 7, 2016
Upcoming Literacy Test
To all parents of Grade 10 students, and previously eligible Grade 11 and 12 students, the Ontario Secondary Schools Literacy Test (OSSLT) will be taking place this year on March 31, 2016. It is imperative that your child is present for this test, and if they will not be able to be present, that you inform your child’s respective Vice Principal as soon as possible.
This week’s literacy information focuses on writing a summary question.
GENERAL TIPS FOR WRITING:
• You must write in complete sentences in the lined space provided.
• Read the instructions carefully and do what is asked.
• Make changes to your writing as clearly as you can.
• Organize your ideas.
• Use correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
• The audience for your writing is always an adult. The language in your writing should be standard Canadian English and should be appropriate for an adult audience.
Writing a Summary
(a concise version of an original text)
• Highlight, underline or circle important ideas when reading the text.
• Do not include your personal opinion.
• Plan your summary. Find the main idea of the text and at least two important details that support it.
• Underline, circle or use the Notes space provided to help plan.
• Reduce the number of words (use one general word instead of several specific words, use fewer examples, leave out unnecessary words).